For today’s A to Z Challenge post, I thought I would rank my favorite songs by one of my favorite groups from my High School days: No Doubt. The band has a unique sound (especially in the earlier material) and some great lyrics.
I think the thing I like best about No Doubt is how they work so well as a unit. I haven’t enjoy or gotten the same feeling from listening to Gwen’s solo material that I did from the group’s music. I think her writing was different (and better) as part of the group as well. Here are my five favorite no doubt songs, ranked from least to best:
5) Hey Baby. This was such a fun, tongue-in-cheek look at life on the road. I really loved the melody and everything else about it.
4) It’s My Life. I love this cover, and I think they managed to bring a new energy to the song.
3) Underneath it All. This is one of their softer songs, and I love every second of it. Gwen’s vocals are understated and vulnerable, and the music is a nice compliment to her voice.
2) Don’t Speak. I couldn’t leave this song off. It’s got the trademark emotion you’d expect from No Doubt during that era and it’s got a great video to go with it. I love how they give people a behind the scenes look into the issues that can wreak havoc on a band.
1) Spiderwebs. This is the first song I remember hearing by them and it got my attention immediately. There is nothing that quite sounds like this, and I love them for it.